News - Age and Opportunity
Free refurbished computers for older people's groups
The Social Computing for the Community project brings together businesses, NGOs and the Irish Prison Service to give value to the community. A number of major companies in Ireland donate computers for refurbishment and distribution to community organisations. As part of this project we have a pool of computers which can be allocated to older people's projects. If you would like to request computers for your organisation, please complete the online expression of interest form that can be found at http://socialcomputing.ie/request.html Please note to be eligible for computers you must meet the criteria detailed in the form.
- The computers are PC’s, Win 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 2.0Ghz single core processor and with anti-virus installed
- Open Office installed or Microsoft Office can be installed for a charge of €10 per computer
- The computers have flat screens and will be able to connect to Wi-Fi
- You will need to arrange your own collection and set-up
- The computers will not have web cameras or headsets but these can be purchased from any electrical shop for a small cost
The project has also developed a community website to help people who do not have strong computer skills access information of interest to them. The website www.socialcomputing.ie is aimed at helping people who are new to using computers and the internet find information and services that may be of interest to them. Essentially, it is a roadmap and aims to make finding things simple.